VMware® vSphere® is the industry-leading virtualization platform for building cloud infrastructures. It enables users to run business-critical applications with confidence and respond to business needs faster. vSphere accelerates the shift to cloud computing for existing data centres and underpins compatible public cloud offerings, forming the foundation for the industry’s only hybrid cloud model.
Here are some of the technology enhancements introduced by vSphere 5:
- Support for very large VMs. Up to 32-vCPU’s and 1TB of vRAM
- Support for 3D graphics and USB 3.0 devices within VMs
- Support for Apple OS X Server 10.6 (Snow Leopard) as guest O/S
- Policy driven automated storage resource balancing through vSphere Storage DRS
- Improved data centre SLA management through I/O Control for storage and network resources
- Enhancements to High-Availability and vMotion features
In addition to the core feature enhancements there are changes to existing product components and new components to solve business problems for small business and large enterprises.
- vCenter Server is now available as a virtual appliance simplifying maintenance and eliminating requirement for third-party guest O/S licences
- vSphere Storage Appliance enables SMB customers to create a virtual SAN by pooling the locally attached storage of up to three physical servers
- vCloud Director enables enterprise customers to create an integrated management solution for a hybrid cloud, comprising both local and third-party resources. Furthermore, it enables service providers to centralised management of multi-tenant environments.
- vCenter Site Recovery Manager enables mid-size and enterprise customers to automate, manage and verify their disaster recovery processes
- vShield implements IP firewall and anti-virus protection outside the guest O/S beyond the reach of conventional malware. Provides diversity of defence to sensitive environments.